Monday, January 7, 2008

Genetics and Cats

Olivia recently went to a Build-A-Bear thing for a birthday party. She ended up with a stuffed pink cat which she named Gabriella. I mentioned that we already had 2 cats, and Olivia pointed out that Gabriella was a girl cat.
So then came the hypotheticals- what if Julius met Gabriella?

Olivia pointed out they could get married and have baby kittens. Well, since one cat is real and the other is not, I was intrigued by the possibilties, and intrigued by what the 6 year old thinks. So I asked her that if they had four kittens, what would they look like?

"Two would be pink, because Gabriella is pink, and 2 would be grey and white, because Julius is grey and white."

Hmmm. Ok, what if they were 5 kittens?

"Two would be pink, because Gabriella is pink, and 2 would be grey and white, because Julius is grey and white."

I asked bout the last, unmentioned kitten.

"Well, it would be pink on one side, and grey and white on the other. The pink side would be like Gabriella, and the other side would be like Julius."

So, we now finally have the answer to the stuffed cat/ real cat starcrossed lovers dilemma.
Although I was only picturing how half an animal melded into half a stuffed animal would live, live it would.

Boy, I sure love my kids.

No comments: